We all love our gas grills! Not only do they save you money over charcoal grills, but they burn cleaner, are easier to clean, and you have better control over your cooking temperature. But do you find you and your family are missing the smoky taste you’ve experienced with a charcoal grill? The good news is, you can easily get the smoky flavor you know and love on your new gas grill. All you need is one simple ingredient… wood chips!
Here’s what to do:
- Soak your wood chips for 15 to 20 minutes, then drain.
- Place the desired amount of chips in an aluminum pan.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and add slits to vent the smoke.
- Place the aluminum pan on the cooking grates next to your food.
- Close the lid to your grill.
In about 20 minutes, your food will have the smoky taste you’re looking for.
Now that you know the secret to getting a smoky taste with a gas grill, here are a few extra things you should know.
- There are different wood chips that will compliment different types of food. Make sure you look at the selection available to match what you are cooking.
- Oak and Hickory will compliment anything
- Apple goes well with fish and vegetables
- Apple, pecan. or cherry are great with poultry
- Mesquite is ideal for tougher pieces of meat like briquettes, but keep in mind this specific variety of wood chips has a very strong scent
- Only use food grade chips made for grilling. Do NOT attempt to make your own or use wood that you have just laying around.
- Always make sure you soak just a little bit of extra chips just in case you use all of yours initially and would like to add more to finish your food.
If you enjoyed these tips and would like to start adding wood chips to your grilling routine, there are also smoker boxes you can purchase as a more durable and long term solution to the aluminum pan. These will save you from having to stock up on aluminum pans every year. Just simply clean and reuse every time you feel like adding that smoky flavor to your food.
Speaking of next time you grill, do you have propane for your next cookout? CONTACT US today to make sure you are stocked up for next time.